Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Adapting an old favorite to the SCD

On Saturday we had our church small group over to our house, and the dinner was a potluck. I wanted to make a dish that others would really enjoy, but also wanted to make sure I had some food that I could eat too!

One of my favorite meals growing up was Chicken Broccoli Casserole. It is made with steamed broccoli and chicken with a sauce of Cream of Chicken soup, mayonnaise, curry powder, and lemon juice poured over the top. The topping is grated cheddar cheese with bread crumbs.

I made a 9x13 dish of the original recipe, and then made a separate dish for myself with steamed broccoli, chicken and lots of cheddar cheese on top. I put both dishes in the oven together and cooked them at 325 degrees for about 20 minutes.

It turned out great! Everyone loved theirs, and I enjoyed mine too. I loved having a lot of cheddar cheese on top so I didn't feel at all deprived! Also, some of the cheese cooks on the bottom of the dish into a yummy crackly treat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I make this too. I use homemade (scd) mayo and curry powder, and lemon juice for the sauce. And I put cheddar cheese on top too. And then we eat it over cauliflower "rice".

Yummy!

Erin said...

Thanks for you comment - that sounds delicious! I'll have to try that soon!